Re: squirrelmail doesn't work after online update of suse linux 9.3

Don't top-post, thanks.  Please read the mailing list posting
guidelines more carefully if you have any doubts.

>>> I have just installed Squirrelmail 1.4.15.
>>>
>>> The errors are the same.
>>>
>>> 1. Squirrelmail configtest said:
>>>
>>> SquirrelMail version:        1.4.15
>>> Config file version: 1.4.0
>>> Config file last modified:   18 June 2008 14:38:34
>>> Checking PHP configuration...
>>>     PHP version 5.2.5 OK.
>>>     display_errors:
>>>     error_reporting: 6143
>>>     variables_order OK: GPCS.
>>>     PHP extensions OK. Dynamic loading is disabled.
>>> Checking paths...
>>>
>>>     ERROR: Data dir (/var/spool/squirrelmail/data/) does not exist!
>>>
>>> 2. Squirrelmail login:
>>>  Error opening ../data/default_pref
>>> Could not create initial preference file!
>>> /var/spool/squirrelmail/data/ should be writable by user httpd
>>> Please contact your system administrator and report this error.
>>>
>>> open_basedir is not set, safe_mode is off.
>>
>> did you check the permissions on the data dir? It should be accessible by
>> the apache owner. Also please check if removing the trailing / changes
>> anything.
>
> of course, I have checked the permissions of
> /var/spool/squirrelmail/data/ directory.
> Yesterday I set the permissions from /var/spool/squirrelmail/data/
> to 777 to test it. The same error.
> This problem is not easy to solve.

What are the permissions on the files inside it?  Why don't you show a
listing of it here?  You should also check the permissions on all the
directories leading up to it to see that the web server can change
into them (usually means "other" has "x" permission on each
directory).