Re: Advice for people with large mailboxers

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 10:52 PM, Jones B. <jonesb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Thanks Tomas, Paul , and Fredrik
>
> Please keep the suggestions coming, but in the meantime I would like to contribute back somehow.
>
> Is it possible some of these and future suggestions can be maintained here:
>
> SquirrelMailPerformance
> http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/SquirrelMailPerformance
> -- and maybe the subthreads like, SpeedWithUW, SpeedWithDBMail, SpeedWithCyrus, etc.
>
> BrowseProblemsByComplaint
> http://squirrelmail.org/wiki/BrowseProblemsByComplaint
> -- which had a nice section on "speed"

The whole idea of a wiki is for the community to help keep it up to
date, so please be our guest...

> Some concepts like server side sort, etc I already noticed when researching this issue before and have seen it in the forum, however the recommendation about folder sizes and keeping the inbox small might be worthwhile to make.
>
> I found when Fredrik made the claim that:
>
>> a large inbox might even be an invitation to mailbox corruption and data loss, and/or slow mail delivery down.
>
> the data retention portion (if true and verifiable, though possibly no fault to squirrelmail) caught my mind and probably should be reflected on some doc on the links above somewhere, as kind of a caveat for people to be proactive. I have seen it recommended to keep the inbox small and offload to folders, but I read this before as just a recommendation... now that data loss is a confirmed possibility, I think this recommendation carries a little bit more weight and should be mentioned here...
>
> I also think maybe the comment about cyrus imap for large boxes could be made there too. Maybe even a linkback to this thread <shrug>.
>
> I could help and edit the wiki, I just want to know if there is consensus on some of these suggestions before I or anyone starts editing away...

All the suggestions seem to make sense to me, go ahead and add what
you think is appropriate.  The data loss issue Fredrik mentions is
probably somewhat rare on a well-configured system, but "weaker" IMAP
servers with absolutely HUGE mailboxes probably are subject to such
risks, perhaps as much because of write failures in the O/S or
hardware as because of bugs in the software.... that is, I'm not sure
you'll find any hard and fast evidence of such issues, but it's common
sense that slower, less well-designed software will present more risks
when you stretch it beyond its limits.