Re: Does it need X packages to run SquirrelMail ?

--- Ben Kamen <bkamen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Stephen Liu wrote:
> >
> > I download/install SM on Ubuntu repo and I'm following;
> > https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Squirrelmail
> >
> > to configure it.  But it fails to start.
> >

> > On your URL it says it need IMAP server.  I don't have it running
> on
> > this mail server under testing.  I'm prepared to install following
> > packages;
> >
> > courier-base - Courier Mail Server - Base system
> > courier-imap - Courier Mail Server - IMAP server
>
> Weigh your IMAP selection properly. There's several choices. Some of
> them are
> more grand-scale than others.. so features might be important for
> your goal.

I don't have special features requirement.  This is a test only.

As curiosity where can I find the features of IMAP?  TIA

>  > courier-imap-ssl - Courier Mail Server - IMAP over SSL
>
> If you are running sendmail/email and squirrelmail on the same
> machine, you
> don't need IMAP over SSL since it's all being done on the same box.
> (unless
> you're really paranoid and have users that are hacking your system
> which isn't
> very nice of them)

I don't have sendmail running on the same box.

> Personally, I use UW IMAP... the setup for non-SSL is pretty easy.

Whether you meant following packages;

$ apt-cache search imap | grep uw
uw-imapd - remote mail folder access server
uw-imapd-ssl - Dummy upgrade package for uw-imapd
uw-mailutils - C-client support programs from UW

Thanks

B.R.
Stephen