Re: Does it need X packages to run SquirrelMail ?

Stephen Liu wrote:

> I download/install SM on Ubuntu repo and I'm following;
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Squirrelmail
>
> to configure it.  But it fails to start.
>

> On your URL it says it need IMAP server.  I don't have it running on
> this mail server under testing.  I'm prepared to install following
> packages;
>
> courier-base - Courier Mail Server - Base system
> courier-imap - Courier Mail Server - IMAP server

Weigh your IMAP selection properly. There's several choices. Some of them are
more grand-scale than others.. so features might be important for your goal.

 > courier-imap-ssl - Courier Mail Server - IMAP over SSL

If you are running sendmail/email and squirrelmail on the same machine, you
don't need IMAP over SSL since it's all being done on the same box. (unless
you're really paranoid and have users that are hacking your system which isn't
very nice of them)

Personally, I use UW IMAP... the setup for non-SSL is pretty easy.

As for what you need, that was mentioned already -- refer to the Squirrel Mail
installation page.

  -Ben

--
Ben Kamen - O.D.T., S.P.