Re: virtualuser

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 3:02 PM, Paulo Resende <presende99@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running CentOS 5.1, using sendmail with virtual users, and virtual
> domains... I have a user XPTO123, who as the virtual e-mail
> joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, now when he sends a e-mail using Squirrelmail is
> address goes something like this joe@localhost or sometimes
> joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and should be joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> If I was not clear, supose this
>
> user: joe
> e-mail: joe@xxxxxxxx
> virtual domain hosted: xpto.com
>
> Server name and domain (not a virtual domain): server1.media.pt
>
> His e-mail address on sended e-mails should be joe@xxxxxxxx but are
> joe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx which is not a acceptable e-mail address... any e-mail
> that goes to that address will bounced back.
>
> How can I fix this??

SquirrelMail uses the IMAP username for all matters.  It looks like
maybe in your case, that's "joe".  Is that how the user logs in - just
"joe"?  Are you using the Login Manager (vlogin) plugin?  I will
assume not since you didn't say so.  I'm not sure why you'd go to the
trouble of setting up a virtual user system where IMAP usernames are
of the form "joe".  Now what if you want to have a "joe" account for a
different virtual domain??  The best and most fundamental fix is to
reevaluate your mail system architecture.  Virtual accounts should
always include the domain name in them: "joe@xxxxxxxxxxx" (identical
to the email address).

To "fix" the problem you are having without changing your mail system
(bah), you can go to Options->Personal Information and make sure the
correct address is put in the email field.  If you want to automate
this for all your users, there are plugins to help with that, and you
can also configure SM to lock out the user's ability to edit that
field, so what the plugin puts there sticks.

There may be another issue, however, in that usually SM will append
the $domain value to outgoing usernames that are in the form "joe".
So you may not have $domain set correctly in the SM configuration (see
the config/config.php file or use the configuration utility, option 2,
item 1).

Finally, if you have a known mapping for what users are in which
domains, you could make your MTA append the correct domain, as it ALSO
seems to be misconfigured as to what domain it thinks it is in.  It
looks to me like your MTA configuration is half-baked, so what I'd
suggest is that you take a second look at it first, get help for it in
the correct community if you need, and THEN try it with SquirrelMail.