Re: Sent folder empty after upgrade

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 7:27 AM, Robert M. Stockmann <stock@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Linux: Redhat 7.3
>   kernel : 2.4.32
>   Squirrelmail: 1.4.13
>   PHP: 4.1.2
>   Apache: 1.3.23
>   Dovecot: 1.0.rc29
>   sendmail: 8.11.6
>   ClamAV: ClamAV 0.91.2/7046/Wed May  7 05:35:44 2008
>   Amavis: 0.2.4 using ClamAV acording http://crashrecovery.org/amavis.html
>
>  The upgrade was from Squirrelmail v1.4.2 to Squirrelmail v1.4.13 in order
>  to use the SpamCOP plugin. Here's the installed plugins :
>
>  Plugins
>   Installed Plugins
>     1. abook_import_export
>     2. abook_take
>     3. administrator
>     4. attachment_tnef
>     5. autocomplete
>     6. bug_report
>     7. calendar
>     8. compatibility
>     9. delete_move_next
>     10. demo
>     11. filters
>     12. fortune
>     13. info
>     14. listcommands
>     15. mail_fetch
>     16. message_details
>     17. newmail
>     18. sent_subfolders
>     19. spamcop
>     20. squirrelspell
>     21. test
>     22. todo
>     23. translate
>     24. variable_sent_folder
>     25. windows
>
>   Available Plugins:
>     26. bayesspam
>
>  All users after logging in for the first time in Squirrelmail: 1.4.13
>  had apparently expunged their Sent folder, which contained
>  all email ever sent through Squirrelmail. I take this 'bug' pretty
>  serious as i have never heard of a open source program which
>  wipes all Sent email data after a upgrade.

Then you should take upgrades of software more seriously than just
unleashing your users on it *untested*.

SM does not automatically remove messages unless the user had already
tagged them as deleted and you have the auto-expunge setting turned
on, and even then, I think you might have to visit the Sent folder to
trip the code.  Either way, I doubt this is a SM "bug" as you claim.

Perhaps the setting for $sent_folder in the configuration is incorrect
and the folder is still there full of mail.  Compare the setting
between your new and old installations.  Note that this can be
overridden in the user's own prefs.

Otherwise, look to see if there is anything suspicious in the user
prefs file.  Create a test account, and use it with your old SM
installation.  Send some messages.  Then delete the user prefs file or
start with a fresh one and use the account in the new SM installation.
 If this is the issue, compare the two pref files.

Also disable all plugins, especially sent_subfolders and try the
process again.  Use the process of elimination to see if any one
plugin is causing the issue.