magic_quotes error reported by configtest

SquirrelMail 1.4.13
PHP 5.2.5, Zend Optimizer,
SuPHP
Courier IMAP (in a cPanel release)
Capabilities: * CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 UIDPLUS CHILDREN NAMESPACE
THREAD=ORDEREDSUBJECT THREAD=REFERENCES SORT QUOTA IDLE ACL ACL2=UNION STARTTLS
maildir mail storage format
Apache 2.2.8, FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE-p11, cPanel virtual web hosting account
IMAP Server Address: 127.0.0.1
SMTP Server Address: 127.0.0.1
Server side sorting is enabled
Server side thread sorting is disabled
register_globals off
Usually access SquirrelMail via SSL (https) with IE6
User login with full e-mail address, e.g. alan@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hello all:

I just moved to a new shared hosting server. I installed SquirrelMail 1.4.13 and ran
the configtest, which reports:

ERROR: You have enabled any one of magic_quotes_runtime, magic_quotes_gpc or
magic_quotes_sybase in your PHP configuration. We recommend all those settings to be
off. SquirrelMail may work with them on, but when experiencing stray backslashes in
your mail or other strange behaviour, it may be advisable to turn them off.

I checked, and magic_quotes_gpc was enabled on the sever. So, I added this to a
php.ini file in the SquirrelMail directory:
magic_quotes_gpc = Off

I now accessed phpinfo.php in the SquirrelMail directory, which reports:
magic_quotes_gpc Off Off
magic_quotes_runtime Off Off
magic_quotes_sybase Off Off

However, SM's configtest still reports that same error. What am I missing?