Error connecting to IMAP server after Avelsieve plugin installation

hi:

we have a dedicated server, housed in an ISP company, wich i admin
remotely using SSH in a Mac OSX 10.4.11 terminal and Cube Panel web
interface 2.3.2. the initial installation and configuration of the
server was done by the ISP tech department

SquirrelMail was working fine with the 4 virtual hosts we have in the
server until 3 days ago when i installed the Avelsieve plugin:

1. downloaded avelsieve-1.9.6.tar.gz
2. renamed old version 1.0.1 folder (it wasn't enabled)
3. installed and enabled version 1.9.6 using the configuration script

when i tried to access webmail, it began to show the error:

Error connecting IMAP server: $host_name.
13: Permission denied

4. disabled the plugin, erased the folder and rename again the original one
5. restarted IMAP/POP3 servers
6. asked ISP tech department to shutdown and restart the server

but the error continued. i made a telnet to IMAP server and it's working:

* OK xxxxxxx Cyrus IMAP4 v2.2.12-Invoca-RPM-2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1 server ready

besides, i created an IMAP account in my mail client (Thunderbird 2.0.0.12)
and it works ok

i then checked the log file

error_log
---------
[client 88.8.32.27] PHP Warning:  fsockopen(): php_network_getaddresses: getaddrinfo failed: Name or service unknown in /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/imap_general.php on line 445, referer: http://mail.mydomain.com/src/login.php
[client 88.8.32.27] PHP Warning:  fsockopen(): unable to connect to $host_name:143 in /usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/imap_general.php on line 445, referer: http://mail.mydomain.com/src/login.php

looking at imap_general.php, it seems the sqimap_login function is not
receiving a valid $imap_server_address parameter. but i'm not sure how to
solve the problem and why just installing the plugin could misconfigured
SquirrelMail

i'll appreciate any advice/suggestion

thanks in advance,

jdoe

SquirrelMail: 1.4.3a-12.EL4

Installed Plugins
1. delete_move_next
2. squirrelspell
3. newmail

PHP: 4.3.9-3.22.9
Web server: Apache/2.0.52 (Red Hat)
IMAP server: Cyrus-imapd 2.2.12-3.RHEL4.1
OS: Linux 2.6.9-34.ELsmp
Spam Assassin 3.1.8-2.el4