Message reply hangs after upgrade to 1.4.13 from 1.4.10a

I have been running SquirrelMail 1.4.10a for about a year or so now, with
very happy users until I upgraded to 1.4.13.

I run Apache/2.2.8 (Win32) & PHP/5.2.4 along with Mercury Mail Server
4.52. I do not run any special plug-ins just the ones that came with the
base install.

Since the upgrade, users have reported they are unable to reply to
messages. When they click send, their browser progress bar churns away,
attempts to click any navigation items, including the folder list result
in no response. Eventually the main frame turns white and the user must
refresh the screen or click on the Inbox in the folder list. (Folder list
works after white screen) It would appear the message was not sent because
of the white screen delay/failure. A check of the Sent folder shows the
message has not been saved there either. However, a check of the mail
server logs shows the messages are successfully received and delivered.
Recipients of the messages report they get the mail as well.

My first thought was misconfiguration of the new SM but when I tested with
various accounts I found that one could compose a message and send it
without delay/error/white screen. It was also saved to the Sent folder as
expected. However, when replying, the problem presented itself every time.

The Mail server logs do not report any errors. The Apache error log does
contain a 30 second timeout when this happens:

PHP Fatal error:  Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in
\\functions\\imap_general.php on line 92, referrer:
http://[myhost.com]/sm/src/compose.php?passed_id=510&mailbox=INBOX&startMessage=1&passed_ent_id=0&smaction=reply

This is odd because new, forwarded, forwarded as attachment messages all
work fine.

I feel there may be a problem in the code which handles replies in the
latest version. I have tried the above tests with our upgraded install as
well as a clean install with base configuration of 1.4.13. Both with the
same result on reply.

I read there could be a problem with the sent folder size, thus the need
to increase the PHP timeout, however this didn't help. (It is important to
note none of the tested accounts had a sent folder bigger than 10MB or so
with 240 messages max.)

I have since reverted to 1.4.10a and all is well again, replies work fine,
the Sent folder is being updated as expected.

I would like to run the latest version but this is preventing that from
happening.

Any suggestions? Has anyone else experienced problems like this?

-- sv