Re: Broken national chars in replies from squirrelmail

>-----Pôvodná správa----->Turn on lossy encoding in SquirrelMail configuration. ISO-8859-2 does not>cover all UTF-8 characters. By default SquirrelMail does not do charset>conversions when target charset is subset of source charset.>>If you have policy of using utf-8 in all outgoing emails, convert>SquirrelMail to utf-8 and it will start using utf-8.
Thanks for the advice, I tried with lossy encoding and it works fine now.
But: this way I fixed our local squirrelmail installation. Still, there are many installations not using this setting and from them we're getting corrupted replies to our utf-8 mails.
With lossy encoding set, squirrelmail behaves exactly like mutt - convertsevery slovak text properly regardles of charset used and replaces unknownchars with '?' Thus I wonder why is this behaviour not the default, IMHO ithas several important advantages:
1. user selecting Slovak translation can be sure he can correctly reply to anyslovak text2. if he receives email in another language, he can simply switch the translationto that language and again reply correctly regardles of charset3. this behaviour is "industry standard", no other email client is changing charsetwithout converting the text4. without this setting, also windows-1250 emails get broken, as 1/3 of slovaknational characters are at different positions than in iso-8859-25. by some googling I found that squirrelmail rpm's for Linux are already convertedto utf-8 - but this means there's huge interoperability issue between those versionsand standard version which is using iso-8859-2 for slovak translation and doesnot convert from utf-8 into it by default.
Thus, may I suggest that lossy encoding behaviour is hardcoded to be the defaultas soon as possible?
ThanksMiro

-------------------MAPY.SK - Najpresnejsie vyhladavanie aj podla cisiel domu, planovanie trasy.http://mapy.atlas.sk
-------------------------------------------------------------------------This SF.net email is sponsored by: MicrosoftDefy all challenges. Microsoft(R) Visual Studio 2008.http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/vse0120000070mrt/direct/01/-----squirrelmail-users mailing listPosting guidelines: http://squirrelmail.org/postingguidelinesList address: squirrelmail-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx archives: http://news.gmane.org/gmane.mail.squirrelmail.userList info (subscribe/unsubscribe/change options): https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/squirrelmail-users