Re: sendmail verbose output

> > > My set up is
> > > Debian - Etch / php5.2.08/apache2/squirrelmail1.5.1/plugins installed - calendar, squirrelspell, 'html_mail, spam_buttons.
> > > For composing and sending mails through squirrelmail we use exim4 with additional -v argument for verbose output.
> > > Some of our users want Delivery  Receipt, which is not working in squirrelmail 1.5.1
> >
> > Please do not use 1.5.1.  It possibly contains a number of gaping
> > security exploits and is very old code.  If you want to use
> > development code, please get a 1.5.2 snapshot.  Delivery receipts are
> > handled by the MTA, not SquirrelMail, however (SM only sends the
> > request), so you might be barking up the wrong tree unless you can
> > clarify yourself.
> >
> > >, so I am thinking of  redirecting the verbose output  from exim to a
> > file (that with contain all the helo ehelo etc) and  provide that as
> > delivery receipt.
> > > So appreciate if any one can point to the right place to look for redirecting the verbose output from exim while sending mails.
> >
> > Dunno, maybe someone else can answer this part.
> >
> Thanks for the prompt reply.
> Yes we will be moving to 1.5.2 version of squirrelmail but not right away.
>
> I know delivery receipts are handled by the MTA, however I just want to redirect the output produced by exim when squirrelmail calls exim for delivering the messages.
> Squirrelmail opens a stream(popen) and writes the headers, message etc. to that stream, I want to redirect the  output of that stream to a file, which possibly should contain the handshake and other info by exim.
> Hope I am a little clear about want I want to achieve.

Easiest way to do this is in PHP.  Everywhere SM pushes something to
the pipe (probably just in the function writeToStream() in
class/deliver/Deliver.class.php), just push the same thing to a file.

    function writeToStream($stream, $data) {
        fputs($stream, $data);
    }

Becomes:

    function writeToStream($stream, $data) {
        fputs($stream, $data);
$FILE = fopen('/tmp/squirrelmail_delivery.log', 'a');
fputs($FILE, $data);
fclose($FILE);
    }

However, this only gives you a copy of the message stream, which I
would think you can get elsewhere.  I'm not sure what you intend to
get out of this.  If you need the SMTP conversation, you might be able
to do the same in class/deliver/Deliver_SMTP.class.php..... but again,
I don't see the usefulness of it.