Re: 1.4.14SVN - ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server. Query: SELECT "INBOX"

> Listmates,
>
> 	A fresh svn install on opensuse 10.3 with wu imap. I am receiving a
> very strange error when replying to messages. The error is:
>
> ERROR:
> ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
> Query: SELECT "INBOX"
>
> 	A screenshot is available at:
> http://www.rankinlawfirm.com/download/screenshots/sqmail/sqmailError_ConnDropperByImap.jpg
>
> 	The reply "IS" sent successfully and sqmail seems to be functioning
> normally otherwise.
>
> 	While the imap transaction is underway, the following error is
> generated in /var/log/messages. There are multiple identical errors:
>
> Jan  7 15:44:35 bonza imapd[19416]: PAM audit_log_acct_message() failed:
> Operation not permitted.
>
> 	Searching, I think it is related to the uw imap disabling of plain text
> passwords. However, the same behavior occurs with plaintext is enabled
> in /etc/c-client.cf with "set disable-plaintext 0". Editing c-client.cf
> with the above does allow login on port 143 and setting "Secure IMAP
> (TLS)" to false in conf.pl, but the same error shown in the screenshot
> occurs when replying to mail.

It is not related to TLS requirement. User can login (left folder listing
works). TLS requirement is applied when connection is opened. You won't be
able to login, if you don't pass tls requirement by using imaps or
starttls or by disabling it.

> 	Any help or direction to more documentation would be appreciated. If I
> can run any more tests to help or provide any more information, just let
> me know and I will be glad to comply.

I suspect that it is related to used mailbox format. mbox format does not
allow shared access. If you are using sessions that don't lock displayed
PHP scripts (left frame with mailbox tree and right frame with mailbox
listing), scripts access same mailbox simultaneously and UW freaks out. Or
scripts are connecting faster than UW releases mailbox locks. Or you have
other program, that keeps permanent connection to UW. Or some SquirrelMail
plugin opens second IMAP connection in right_main.php script. Maybe
newmail or filters plugin.

You might be able to avoid it with imapproxy. See http://www.imapproxy.org

Good fix is to use mailbox format that allows shared access. Cyrus,
Courier and Dovecot support other formats that are better than mbox.

If you want more thoughts about it, search for "uw lost mailbox lock" in
your favorite search engine.

--
Tomas