Re: Problem using "localhost" as IMAP server name

On Sat, December 29, 2007 1:43 pm, GordonM wrote:

> Note that this relates to a WinXP SP2 installation of Squirrelmail.
>
> Having used Squirrelmail for a couple of years, I have had to re-install it
> because of a (unrelated to SM) system crash.  I started with a completely
> clean Windows XP installation, so there is not too much on the machine so
> far.  I set up the SM configuration file using "localhost" as the server
> machine name.  My IMAP server (Mercury32) is running on the same machine as
> SM.  Unfortunately, SM wouldn't work and I received a message saying that a
> connection could not be made to the host.  It wouldn't work when using
> 127.0.0.1 as the server name either.  I then changed the server name in the
> SM configuration file to its LAN IP address, 192.168.0.101.  SM then started
> to work.
>
> Being rather curious about this, I tried to telnet to the IMAP port on the
> local machine (telnet localhost 143 or telnet 127.0.0.1 143) and no
> connection was achieved.  The response was "Connecting To Localhost...Could
> not open connection to the host, on port 143: Connect failed".  This is the
> same response as is received when locally telneting to port 143 on another
> machine that isn't running an IMAP daemon.  Consistent with what I had
> observed with SM, if I telnet to port 143 (on the SM/IMAP machine) using its
> LAN IP address (192.168.0.101) or its Internet hostname, the IMAP server
> responds correctly.

  This is probably a setting in your imap server, and has little to do with SM
(other than the symptoms).  I'm not familiar with Mercury, but try to find a
way to tell it to listen on 'localhost' or '127.0.0.1' as well as your
published net address and then SM should work just fine.

HTH,

Mike