Problem using "localhost" as IMAP server name

Note that this relates to a WinXP SP2 installation of Squirrelmail.

Having used Squirrelmail for a couple of years, I have had to re-install it
because of a (unrelated to SM) system crash.  I started with a completely
clean Windows XP installation, so there is not too much on the machine so
far.  I set up the SM configuration file using "localhost" as the server
machine name.  My IMAP server (Mercury32) is running on the same machine as
SM.  Unfortunately, SM wouldn't work and I received a message saying that a
connection could not be made to the host.  It wouldn't work when using
127.0.0.1 as the server name either.  I then changed the server name in the
SM configuration file to its LAN IP address, 192.168.0.101.  SM then started
to work.

Being rather curious about this, I tried to telnet to the IMAP port on the
local machine (telnet localhost 143 or telnet 127.0.0.1 143) and no
connection was achieved.  The response was "Connecting To Localhost...Could
not open connection to the host, on port 143: Connect failed".  This is the
same response as is received when locally telneting to port 143 on another
machine that isn't running an IMAP daemon.  Consistent with what I had
observed with SM, if I telnet to port 143 (on the SM/IMAP machine) using its
LAN IP address (192.168.0.101) or its Internet hostname, the IMAP server
responds correctly.

I can telnet to external hosts from the SM/IMAP machine and I can also
telnet to the Apache server on the same machine using "localhost", i.e.
telnet localhost 80, and Apache responds.  Mercury is also running a SMTP
server, but that won't respond when using "localhost" in the telnet command.
However, its normal operation as a SMTP server is fine (connection being
made using its LAN address).

I have checked the Hosts file, and that is correct.  It only contains
localhost as 127.0.0.1.

I have checked the permitted connections within the Mercury32 IMAP server
configuration and the set-up seems to be fine (opening up the server to
accept anything doesn't help).

A (perhaps) side effect of the above behaviour is that when I use
"localhost" in the SM configuration file, external connections (over my
LAN), trying to connect to SM, are not successful.  However, consistent with
the above behaviour, using the LAN address in the SM configuration file
works fine.

I had wondered whether this might be a Windows Firewall problem (even though
most of the behaviour noted above is within the same machine).  However,
turning the firewall off makse no difference.

Any help to solve this "mystery" would be much appreciated.

Thank you

GordonM