Re: is it possible for sm to pass the wrong username and password to cyrus?

Rafael Mahecha
E-mail Administrator
Office of Information Management
Jackson State University

JSU e-Center
1230 Raymond Road
Jackson, MS 39204

mahecha@xxxxxxxxx
(601)-979-1783
http://www.jsums.edu

From: header had an email address that did not
> belong to her....?? You need to be SPECIFIC about WHAT *EXACTLY* you
> checked and WHAT *EXACTLY* did not match or we cannot accurately help
> you.

I mean every header (not just the FROM, etc.) in that email has a different username than the one that logged in... then when I tested myself, I user the user's username and password and it logged in as a complete different user (different from the username and password that i typed and different from the one that was noted when the user realized that something was wrong.

>> When I tried to send from her account, the composed window showed a
>> signature information that did not belong to her; and this was not even
>> the
>> same account that prompted the support call; is was like the sm was
>> taking
>> her username and just opening random preferences files... what is odd is
>> that the cyrus server shows now record of those mails being sent from
>> her
>> account... log files say [squirrelmail authenticated user joe.doe] where
>> her
>> username was mary.smith, for example.
>>
>> I was not able to replicate this behavior a 3rd time, and it only seemed
>> be on her laptop.... I have not gotten any other reports of such
>> symptoms...
>>
>> Under what conditions will squirrelmail take a username and password,
>> and
>> pass them to a cyrus server as complete different username and password
>> sets... and they are correct sine the cyrus server took them....
>
> It is not clear to me what you are looking at, but my guess is that
> the user's preferences have been changed/compromised, and that this
> has nothing to do with the account username and password. If the user
> can log in on the login screen with her username and password, then
> the IMAP server is not involved and the problem is simply that the
> preferences have been changed. This can happen by way of a known
> issue in SM where preferences can be replaced by other users who log
> in to the same SqurirelMail installation on a computer where another
> user on the same SquirrelMail server was already logged in. The
> solution in this case is to manually reset the user's preferences (by
> deleting the preference file or asking the user to change them in the
> personal options page) and to make it clear to all users that they
> should LOG OUT before anyone else logs in to SquirrelMail from the
> same computer.

The user was working on a laptop that was assigned to her... she said that noone else has used that laptop... even if internet explorer was having a bug (remembering cookies or something like that), somehow it transformed her username and password into someone else's...

When I tested it, I closed her explorer and reopened it, typed her username and password and it let me login with those credentials, but it took me to a different user's prefs... even the signature that you append to the end of the messages was not hers... of course, it was that from the other/wrong user...