Re: squirrelmail fails to start

>> > Ubuntu 7.04 server amd64 (Host OS) - mail server
>> > VMWare
>> > Webmin
>> > Usermin
>> > CentOS 5 (Guest OS)
>> > squirrelmail-1.4.11
>> >

>> > http://domain.com/squirrelmail
>> > Not Found
>> >
>> > The requested URL /squirrelmail was not found on this server.
>> > Apache/2.2.3 (Ubuntu) DAV/2 SVN/1.4.3 PHP/5.2.1 mod_ssl/2.2.3
>> > OpenSSL/0.9.8c Server at domain.com Port 80
>> >
>> > http://domain.com:80/squirrelmail
>> > http://domain.com:8080/squirrelmail
>> > Same output
>> >
>> > Please advise where shall I check and how to fix it.  TIA
>> >

>> See Apache documentation on Alias directive.
>> http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/mod/mod_alias.html#alias
>>
>> centos squirrelmail rpm adds alias to /webmail and not to
>> /squirrelmail
>

> Squirrelmail is installed on Ubuntu 7.04, the mail server.  CentOS not
> yet configured.
>

> On /usr/lib/vmware-mui/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> following lines already added under <IfModule mod_alias.c>
>
> <IfModule mod_alias.c>
>     Alias /squirrelmail /usr/local/squirrelmail/www
>
>     <Directory /usr/local/squirrelmail/www>
>         Options Indexes
>         AllowOverride none
>         DirectoryIndex index.php
>         Order allow,deny
>         allow from all
>     </Directory>
>
> </IfModule>
>

> and re-run;
> # /etc/init.d/httpd.vmware restart
>    Shutting down http.vmware:                             done
>    Starting httpd.vmware:                                 done
>

> However I don't know whether /usr/lib/vmware-mui/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> is the correct file.  Because;
>
> # find / -name httpd.conf
> /usr/lib/vmware-mui/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> /usr/lib/vmware-mui/src/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> /usr/local/src/vmware-mui-distrib-1.0.4-56528/mui/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> /usr/local/src/vmware-mui-distrib-1.0.4-56528/mui/src/apache/conf/httpd.conf
> /home/satimis/httpd.conf
> /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
>
> found other httpd.conf.
>

> /home/satimis/httpd.conf
> /etc/apache2/httpd.conf
> are empty files

Why are you installing SquirrelMail in vmware web service? It is proprietary
setup designed to manage guest oses. Less you mess with it, less problems
you have. If something breaks in your vmware web setup after you install n
third party extensions and make n modifications, vmware people can refuse to
support it. Keep it on some high port and use standard Ubuntu Apache2 on tcp
80/443 ports.

Create file with
----
Alias /squirrelmail /usr/local/squirrelmail/www
<Directory /usr/local/squirrelmail/www>
    Options Indexes
    AllowOverride none
    DirectoryIndex index.php
    Order allow,deny
    allow from all
</Directory>
----

Copy it to /etc/apache2/conf.d/ directory

Check Ubuntu Apache2 configuration ('apache2ctl configtest')

Restart Apache2 ('/etc/init.d/apache2 restart' or 'apache2ctl restart')

/etc/apache2/httpd.conf is empty on Debian and Ubuntu. All configuration is
modular and it is stored in other /etc/apache2/ files

--
Tomas