Re: Exporting - changing folder location?

"Michael Borchers":
> I am leaving my current provider who offered me a dedicated server so far,
> so I had full access to the email folders.
>
> I am changing to a new provider where I do not have access.
>
> Is there a possibility to take all the old emails and folders with me
> or "simply" copying the folders to a different place in my new root so
> squirrelmail can access it there?

Hi Michael.

If you have IMAP access besides SquirrelMail I'd recommend you to use some
other tool, such as IMAPCopy [1], to do the migration. IMAP copying tools
are available for various platforms, so use a search engine to find one
that suits your requirements. If you don't have the right ports open, ask
the providers and they might be able to help you out. Come to think of it,
they might even be able to do the work for you if you ask.

SquirrelMail can use the Archive Mail [2] plugin to download mails from
your server, but I don't know of any easy way to get those mails uploaded
to another server. SquirrelMail was simply not built with migration
features in mind. It should be possible to create a plugin for migrating
mails, but there's no existing plugin doing that.

If you can access the mails at the old server though POP3, you might use
the Mail Fetch plugin (bundled with SquirrelMail) at the new server to get
the mails, but I guess this won't handle folders very well meaning that
you'll have to do a lot of moving mails to and from the inbox in both
ends. As far as I know this plugin doesn't support IMAP, only POP3.

Use the SquirrelMail Addressbook Import-Export [3] plugin to migrate the
address book.

Sincerely,
Fredrik

[1] http://home.arcor.de/armin.diehl/imapcopy/imapcopy.html