SquirrelSpell not working

I am sorry if this double posts....

I have spent the past 2 days working on this with no luck.

I enabled the SquirrelSpell plugin, but all I get is a popup window:

ERROR:
Could not run the spellchecker command (C:\aspell\bin\aspell.exe -d en_us -a).

I am running Windows 2003, IIS6, PHP 5.2, SquirrelMail 1.4.11, aspell 50.3.3, aspell-en 50.2.3.

SquirrelMail runs on a different server than my hMailServer (4.3.1). I connect to the SquirrelMail server via port forwarding on the firewall.

I installed Aspell first in Program files, then in the root of C. I set cat.exe into the windows system32 directory. I have followed every suggestion I could find about settings, locations, permissions, etc.

I set a PHP script to use aspell and it runs fine, even from the plugin directory. So aspell is working.

I thought it could be something to do with safe mode in PHP (I've tried on, off, etc) and spent half a day messing with that. I tried different path statements for include and exec directories, but everytime I listed something, no matter how formatted, PHP refused to load. Here are my current settings from php.ini:

safe_mode = On
safe_mode_gid = On
safe_mode_include_dir =
safe_mode_exec_dir =
safe_mode_allowed_env_vars = PHP_

Suggestions anyone? More info I can post?

Steve G