Re: server replied 354

FWIW, when I have had this problem it was due to a combination of
circumstances that didn't have much to do with SM.

I use Exim as my MTA, and under some circumstances it calls out
immediately to try to deliver the message (i.e., while SM is still
waiting for the final response code).  If the callout fails, the send
fails, Exim reports the reason to SM, and SM reports it to the user.

On one occasion, an external site had some kind of illness and was
giving a 354 response at the wrong time (I forget, but it might have
been right after MAIL FROM:).  SM was only showing this symptom when
attempts were made to send to addressees on that site.  (As it turns
out, it was Yahoo, so the problem was showing up a lot.)  The cure was
to wait; they fixed themselves after a few hours.

I mention this not only to pass along an amusing geek anecdote :-),
but also because it was very difficult to track it down.  Is there a
pattern to the addresses when this happens?  Check your MTA logs.