Re: Squirrelmail Performance Tuning.

On 9/3/07, Tom riddle <tom8303@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hello ,
> I have installed squirrelmail on red hat Linux,with the following
> configuration
> Apache-2.0.59
> php-5.2.0
> squirrelmail-1.5.1
> I have followed the steps given on squirrelmail site for Performance Tuning
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/docs/admin/admin-6.html#ss6.1
> For eg. for php
> a. gettext
> b. IMAP server extension

SM doesn't use this

> c. PHP Cache.:eAccelerator
> I m not able to use imap proxy as using it causes lot of failure in stress
> test.

Really?  You might want to show the problems to the imapproxy
developers (or show them here too)

> For Apache setting for params like
> StartServers       300
> MinSpareServers    300
> MaxSpareServers  500
> MaxClients      600
> MaxRequestsPerChild 100000
> Timeout 400
> KeepAliveTimeout 10
> I have imap which can handle 1000 req/sec per CPU.

What IMAP server is it?  How do you know that figure is accurate?

> I m stress testing the squirrelmail for login+inbox dipslay
> For total user 30000 to 40000 when tested gives req/sec  between 4 to 5.
> I want to improve the req/sec ratio and test for more number of user than
> this.
> Can anybody suggest anything to improve rps any
> setting(php,Apache,squirrelmail),useful links,utility to
> install

FYI, 1.5.1 is quite old by now, and 1.5.2 is the newest development
version, although I don't know if it's going to be faster (with all
the templates code in place, it likely may be slower).  You might try
profiling the PHP code for fun, but that may or may not tell you
anything helpful.

You did enable server side sorting in the SM config, right?

If you have the capability, you might try actually benchmarking the
IMAP server alone (duplicate all the same IMAP commands that SM does
over the command-line) -- SM will always be substantially slower than
that, but it would be another more realistic number to compare with
(the number you quote above may be just advertising mumbo).

If I were you, I'd look to try to fix whatever is wrong with
imapproxy, as it might help substantially.

Otherwise, maybe someone else has some good ideas.  Please keep us
informed & good luck.