How does squirrelmail get the User's name?

I have a User on my server that nobody recognized, so I backed up and
deleted the account. She later called and it was straightened out (she's
  an outside collaborator with one of my Users and so had been given an
account before my time).

This is relevant because then in the comment field in /etc/passwd I used
usermod to change it to "Jenny Jones. Collaborates with Sid" so I will
know who she is when I periodically review /etc/passwd pruning dead
accounts.

So after restoring her account, She complained that Squirrelmail was
sending out her mails as "Jenny Jones. Collaborates with Sid"
<jjones@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>.

Well I knew her password (I'd just reset it) so I realized in
Squirrelmail Options -> Personal Information, I could just fill in her
real name and that would override this. But what about the rest of my
Users? As I was modifying comment fields for my private use, was
Squirrelmail picking that up and using it as the Account Name?

I experimented with a dummy account and then in THAT account, "Bob
Evans. A test User" was NOT picked up by SM and e-mail sent out just
went out as "Bob Evans" <bevans@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> . Options -> Personal
Information was blank.

So now I am confused.

A. Under what conditions does SM pick up the comment field and use it?

B What I WANT is for SM to NEVER use the /etc/passwd comment field and
if the User does not fill in Options -> Personal information themselves,
mail will just go out as "" <joeuser@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> . How do I ensure that?

Thanks,

Van