Problems with Squirrelmail on Mac OS X Server

Hi all,

I have a problem with Squirrelmail on Mac OS X Server 10.4.10.  I have
upgraded SM to 1.4.10a and am running php 5.2.2-1 (the Entropy build).
 The default language is is_IS and the character encoding is
iso-8859-1.  I have a user with mailboxes that use accented
characters.  They are fine when viewed in other clients (Mail, Outlook
etc), but when she tries to access them in Squirrelmail, the following
error is reported:

ERROR: Could not complete request.
Fyrirspurn: SELECT "N"
Reason Given: Mailbox does not exist

(Fyrirspurn being Query)

The name of the mailbox is
Nínukot

In the filesystem it is named
N&AO0-nukot

When squirrelmail tries to access the mailbox it seems to chop off the
& and everything trailing it, so the mailbox is not found.

Anyone familiar with this and/or have a solution?

Best regards,
Sigurdur