prefs file has incorrect email addr or multiple addrs

This problem has been plaguing me for the longest time and I still haven’t found what the cause of the problem is.  Very infrequently, a user will complain about having somebody else’s name/emailaddr in the FROM: field.  In the past, I’ve gone into the user’s .pref file and have found that there are multiple people listed in their (email_address1, email_address2, etc).   Mind you, we do not allow editing either field as a regular user.

Lately (I noticed this since upgrading from 1.4.9 to 1.4.10a) – that problem is no longer apparent.  Instead, an even more insidious problem.  Apparently the new problem (though maybe its always done this and I haven’t noticed until now) is that a user’s email_address and name will be overwritten by someone else’s information (so instead of there being an obvious problem (grep email_address2 *.pref), there is still only one email/name in the .pref file – but with someone else’s data).

The two users in question seem to _always_ have something in common – namely, they have used the same computer (e.g. a brother and sister – or a boyfriend and girlfriend).  This has been the case for pretty much every problem I’ve examined in detail so far.

I have seen Patch #1710663 – could this help?  Apparently this patch was rejected as “not the right way to fix” that guy’s problem.  He was using the DB backend and it seemed like he was seeing incorrect data in dbcache and the patch was suggesting that SM should  always go to the DB backend for the correct

Here is what we’re running with:

Fedora Core 4

PHP 5.2.1

SM 1.4.10a (.prefs in flat text files – no DB)

Plugins:

    1. delete_move_next

    2. sent_subfolders

    3. squirrelspell

    4. newmail

    5. filters

    6. message_details

    7. translate

    8. bug_report

    9. view_as_html

    10. retrieveuserdata v0.9 (pulling from an Open LDAP server)

    11. address_add

    12. spamcop

    13. squirrel_logger

    14. quota_usage

Any pointers will be appreciated

Example of incorrect pref file:

[root@wlb-wm-01 data]# cat  s0539172.pref

show_html_default=0

sort=0

left_refresh=300

_javascript__on=1

hililist=a:0:{}

got_external_userdata=1

spamcop_method=web_form

mdn_user_support=1

delete_move_next_t=off

delete_move_next_formATtop=off

delete_move_next_b=on

delete_move_next_formATbottom=on

email_address=s0568013@xxxxxxxxxxxx (wrong)

full_name=Cxxxxxx Gxxxxx  (wrong)

identities=1

chosen_theme=../themes/in_the_pink.php

sui_last_ip=10.11.2.33

sui_last_host=mu16350.hawkdom2.monmouth.edu

sui_last_date=1183669885