Re: http and https, Bug or Misconfiguration?

Rainer Sigl wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm using squirrelmail 1.4.10a with apache 2.0.55 on  kubuntu dapper. My
> apache is configured to serve only ssl, https.
> After composing a email and pressing 'send' the email is sent correctly
> but I get a window:
> An error occured while loading
> http:/myhostname/src/right_main.php?mailbox=INBOX&sort=6&startMessage=1:
>
> Could not connect to host myhostname.
> The problem is obviously that squirrelmail tries to connect to
> myhostname via http (and not https!) and this is forbidden by my apache.
> Why does in this case squirrelmail not remember that it has to use https???
>
> Many thanks
> Rainer Sigl

I do not know the answer to your question, but a reasonable work around
is to configure your web server to redirect non-ssl requests to https:// ...

I do this for certain directories, i.e. webmail:

<Location ~ /webmail>
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTPS} =off
RewriteRule .* https://%{SERVER_NAME}/webmail/ [R,L]
</Location>

Note there isno space between "=" and "off" in the RewriteCond line

I did this because I would often forget to put https:// ... in the web
browser when accessing my mail.... this way, requests are properly
handled doing "what I mean" instead of "what I say". :-)

Now, I can just enter "my domain name/webmail" in the browser, and I get
a proper ssl connection. I don't care about the extra "overhead" of the
redirect.