Re: few queries about squirrel mail

>>> I have been using squirelmail and its workin beautiful..
>>>
>>> now my sister company using an exchange server and i want to implement
>>> squirrel mail and i have a few queries since the users there have been
>>> using the features
>>>
>>> Th server will be Centos OS with squirrel Mail ver 1.4.10a n UW imap
>>> server
>>>
>>> 1) for example i create a new email for our employee.. is it possible
>>> let all the existing email users to know about this new email address..
>>> somethin like a global email address contact list
>>
>> Exchange stores information in ADS. It is microsoft version of LDAP
>> server.
>> SquirrelMail can get addresses from LDAP. In SquirrelMail 1.4.x they are
>> not
>> listed by default and are available only when user searches for address.
>>
>> I have reports that users can't connect to ADS in some setups, because
>> connection fails with "Protocol error" messages. I can't reproduce it on
>> Win2k3
>> test server. PHP LDAP connects to ADS, if v3 binding and authentication
>> are used.
>>
>>> 2) now the users already have their emails downloaded on the local pc
>>> using outlook 2003 client using IMAP . now is it possible to syncronise
>>> the mails on my local pc to squireel mail server
>>> in other words export the outlook emails to my imap server so i can see
>>> the mails in squirrel mail inbox
>>
>> If users use IMAP, emails are not downloaded to their local pcs. Outlook
>> stores
>> only local message copy. master copy is still on server and it available
>> other IMAP clients. Messages won't be available to SquirrelMail, only
>> when
>> they
>> are moved to local outlook folders.
>>
>> Please note that Exchange does not support server side sorting and
>> SquirrelMail
>> 1.4.x performance won't match performance on UW, Courier or Cyrus with
>> server
>> side sorting turned on.
>
> Thanks a lot for ur quick reply.
> do appreciate..
>

> btw i was not able to actually explain my second query..
>
> like if i create folder example-- mails2007-- in outlook express 2003 on
> my local PC and have some mails in that foler. (since the users were using
> exchange and most mails have been on the local pc ) and i do want to move
> this folders n the mails it contain like for example syncronise to the
> imap server so when i log to my squirrel mail this folder is automaticall
> created along with the mails
> like it can be done in exchange server

If Outlook (ps. there is no 2003 version of Outlook Express) uses IMAP and
creates folders on IMAP server, SquirrelMail should see them. Only one
possible issue - outlook might use own subscription registry and folders
are not subscribed on IMAP server. Then user will have to subscribe those
folders in SquirrelMail folder management page. SquirrelMail has plugins
that can subscribe folders automatically, but these plugins don't have
configuration options to disable subscription of folders used by Exchange
for calendaring.

If outlook uses IMAP, but stores some emails in local folders, these
emails won't be available to SquirrelMail. If Santa gives you candies and
Grinch takes them away, will you ask Santa to give candies back? Nope. Ask
Grinch or Microsoft or Outlook. There is nothing that SquirrelMail can do
to emails stored locally on user's machine.

Please keep conversation on mailing list and don't reply with private
SquirrelMail questions to my email address.

--
Tomas