SquirrelMail blocks upon mail sending

Hi!
I'm managing a small server which uses Postfix as MTA and Dovecot as
imapd. It all works flawlessly for some time now.
I installed SquirrelMail to be able to use the email functionality when
I'm not at home.
Interaction with the IMAP server seems ok (except for a minor problem
where subfolders are shown as a child of the wrong parent folder but this
is a minor concern and I may start another thread for it once I solved my
other problem)
The problem arises when I try to send an email. In fact when I hit the
Send button the browser tries to load the new page but never manages to
load it. I can't load the login page of SquirrelMail either at that
point. I can however load other pages, including other php pages. If I
restart Apache I can load the Squirrelmail login page again.
The mail is actually sent and arrives correctly.

Here's my Squirrelmail SMTP config:

SMTP Settings
-------------
4.   SMTP Server           : localhost
5.   SMTP Port             : 25
6.   POP before SMTP       : false
7.   SMTP Authentication   : none
8.   Secure SMTP (TLS)     : false
9.   Header encryption key :

I tried with sendmail and the result was exactly the same.

The system is a Debian -stable:
Linux vs155129.vserver.de 2.6.9-023stab043.3-smp #1 SMP Thu Apr 19
10:35:07 MSD 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

SquirrelMail version is 1.4.9a
PHP version is 5.2.0-8+etch4
Postfix version is 2.3.8