Problems sending from SquirrelMail running on WinXP IIS

I have SquirrelMail running on a fast (2.4GHz P4) WinXP box using IIS and PHP5, and connecting to an Courier IMAP and SMTP server hosted by a third-party professional service (Dotster). Everything works fine except for sending messages, which intermittently fail ~ 30seconds after I hit the Send button with the error:

Notice: fputs() [function.fputs]: send of 78 bytes failed with errno=0 An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\squirrelmail\class\deliver\Deliver.class.php on line 262

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\squirrelmail\class\deliver\Deliver.class.php on line 263
PHP Notice: fputs() [function.fputs]: send of 78 bytes failed with errno=0 An established connection was aborted by the software in your host machine. in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\squirrelmail\class\deliver\Deliver.class.php on line 262 PHP Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\squirrelmail\class\deliver\Deliver.class.php on line 263

Oddly, the timeout error occurs even with very short, plain text messages (the one that produced this error was <1k in size). The WinXP box does hardly anything other than run Squirrelmail, so it is not a processor bottleneck issue. And I never have problems sending from Outlook using the SMTP server, so I don't think there is a bottleneck there. Sending does work sometimes, so I'm fairly certain that authentication and server config is set up properly.