Fwd: vacation_local not sending auto-reply

Glad it worked.  (see below for off-list message)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Arjun Datta <arjun@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: May 9, 2007 7:27 AM
Subject: Re:  vacation_local not sending auto-reply
To: Paul Lesniewski <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

 Hi Paul,

 Just wanted to let you know - I actually managed to get it to work.
/usr/bin/vacation requires the .forward files to have a certain
string.  By switching on the $maintain_dot_forward_files flag in the
config.php file, the .forward file gets that string prepended to it.
vacation_local is obviously aware of the format of the string and
inserts it accordingly.  More saliently, vacation_local requires that
.forward files be used to talk to /usr/bin/vacation.

 That's all it was.
 Thanks for your help.

 Arjun

 Paul Lesniewski wrote:

 Now, I am using sendmail 8.13-8 (MTA) and procmail 3.22-17(LDA). The

 format

 for .forward files is just .forward.

 The format you need to be concerned with is the contents of that file.
 Please ask elsewhere if you don't know how to set .forward files up.

 Fair enough, but that's only If I want to use .forward files to forward
emails elsewhere. What If I don't want to use .forward files, shouldn't
/usr/bin/vacation be using the created .vacation files (which are being
created with the correct contents) and send a reply to the sender?

Or is that a vacation question which I should ask on the vacation list ?

 Exactly. Again it *does not matter* how your autoreply system works;
that is completely your responsibility *before* setting up the plugin.
 Figure it out *first* and only then set the plugin up to conform to
whatever files and file formats your system demands.