Re: Most secure way of authentication

Rainer Sokoll wrote:
> On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 10:49:21AM -0700, Don Russell wrote:
>
>> Rainer Sokoll wrote:
>>

>>>   RedirectMatch permanent ^/(.*) https://webmail.example.com/$1
>>>

>> Though that may work in many cases, the reason I do not like it is
>> because the issue is not to change a request on port 80 to port 443,the
>> point is to ensure https is being used.
>>

> This is exactly what Redirect does: Forcing the use of https. I do not
> understand your objection - maybe I'm missing something obvious?

Yes, the redirect works, but my objection is in the method you choose to
*cause* the redirect:
Your example decides based on port number, regardless of whether https
is in use or not.

My example only causes redirection if https is not in use, and that's
the real issue: is it an https connection, regardless of port number.

Though it is usually correct that port 80 is http and port 443 is https,
it's not certain. So, if the intention is to ensure https then the best
(IMHO) way to do that is to ask "Is this an https connection?
(regardless of the port number)" Then based on the answer, cause a redirect.

Both methods result in a redirect...

My method: because https was not used (always correct)
Your method: because port 80 was used (probably correct)

Call it personal preference...  :-)

Don Russell