Re: Most secure way of authentication

On Thu, May 03, 2007 at 02:43:41PM -0400, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:

> Don is pointing out that the case where this is triggered (inside the
> VirtualHost :80 container) doesn't guarantee that https is actually
> not being used.

That is correct, but the subscribed people here are admins - they should
know their servers ;-)
I know that my server has no https on tcp/80.
BTW: many browsers as well as proxies deny https on ports !=443. Of
course, this does not guarantee security at all.

> That is, activity on port 80 implies (but does not guarantee) that TLS
> is not in use.  And activity on port 443 implies (but does not
> guarantee) that TLS *is* in use.  Testing that the HTTPS environment
> variable provided by mod_ssl is set to "on" guarantees that TLS is
> actually in use.

This is what SSLRequireSSL is ment for.

Rainer