Re: Preferences overwritten problem

On Sat, April 28, 2007 7:45 pm, Adam Forsyth wrote:

> The problem involves 2 users.   User 1 will suddenly realize that when
> they send mail their mail is being sent with the name and email address
> of User 2 on the from line of the message.  When I look at
> /usr/local/apache2/htdocs/squirrelmail-1.4.8/data/prefs/user1.pref I
> find that the original contents of the user 1's preference file is gone
> and replaced with contents that match those of user 2.
>
> When we question the user that reports the problem, they always know the
> second user, and can think of some scenario where the two of them might
> have been logged in from the same computer at the same time.  So I think
> the problem is that when 2 squirrel mail sessions start from 2 different
> users using the same browser on the same PC, the 2 sessions get mixed up.

That is correct. This is a known issue. Do not allow two concurrent users on the
same client, otherwise user prefs can be overwritten or corrupted.

> What I don't understand is why we're seeing so many more cases like this
> now that we're running 1.4.8, than we have with any of the other
> versions of squirrelmail that we've run over the past 6 years or so that
> we've been using squirrelmail.  I've seen this problem periodically
> before the upgrade (maybe I'd hear about and fix 1 or 2 cases a year.)
> Since the upgrade, I'm fixing at least 1 case a week.
>
> Anyone have any suggestions on a solution to this problem or a way to
> make it happen less frequently?  We of course tell each student that
> reports this problem that it happens when 2 users log into squirrelmail
> from the same compter at the same time, and tell them to make sure that
> the first user logs off before a second user logs on.

AFAIK, that is the only solution. You might search the archives in case someone has
offered a method that auto-logouts the previous session when a new login begins on
the same client.