Re: Global AddressBook in LDAP

Andy Kannberg <a.kannberg <at> orange.nl> writes:

> Hi Folks,
>
> we use Squirrelmail as our webmailclient, and we want to figure out how to
> setup a Global Address book via
> LDAP. We already have a LDAP server running (OpenLDAP). The global address
> book should exist of the email
> addres of all people in the company plus some additional information, also
> found in LDAP.
>
> I've figured out how to add an LDAP server which squirrelmail should use, and
> I  tried to set the 'Use Global
> Address Book', but I don't know what to enter there ?
>
> I've googled and searched the net, but I couldn't find what I am looking for,
> Can anyone shed a light on this ?? Would appreciate it,

Lines with '>>' indicate use input. Input starts after one '>' or ':'. If it is
empty, you can hit Enter.

conf.pl -> 6.  Address Books -> 1.  Change LDAP Servers

You can now define different LDAP servers.
Please ensure proper permissions for config.php when including
sensitive passwords.

>>[ldap] command (?=help) > +
First, we need to have the hostname or the IP address where
this LDAP server resides.  Example: ldap.bigfoot.com

You can use any URI compatible with your LDAP library. ldaps
and ldapi URIs can be used to create secure LDAP connections.
>>hostname: ldap.example.org

Next, we need the server root (base dn).  For this, an empty
string is allowed.
Example: ou=member_directory,o=netcenter.com
>>base: ou=contacts,dc=example,dc=org

This is the TCP/IP port number for the LDAP server.  Default
port is 389.  This is optional.  Press ENTER for default.
>>port:

This is the charset for the server.  Default is utf-8.  This
is also optional.  Press ENTER for default.
>>charset:

This is the name for the server, used to tag the results of
the search.  Default it "LDAP: hostname".  Press ENTER for default
>>name: Contacts

You can specify the maximum number of rows in the search result.
Default is unlimited.  Press ENTER for default.
>>maxrows:

If your LDAP server does not like anonymous logins, you can specify bind DN.
Default is none, anonymous bind.  Press ENTER for default.
>>binddn:

You can specify bind protocol version here.
Default protocol version depends on your php ldap settings.
Press ENTER for default.
>>protocol: 3

>>[ldap] command (?=help) > d

-----
Save config and exit configuration utility

Result - ldap_server entry in config.php
----
$ldap_server[0] = array(
    'host' => 'ldap.example.org',
    'base' => 'ou=contacts,dc=example,dc=org',
    'name' => 'Contacts',
    'protocol' => 3
);
----

Address book is visible only when you search for address. Listing of LDAP
address book is implemented only in SquirrelMail 1.5.x. You can enable it with
simple mods in two SquirrelMail scripts, but display of ldap entries won't be
nice. LDAP backend uses full dn as nickname.