Re: About folder /var/spool/squirrelmail/attach

> Hi,
>
> We have a FC4 linux system that has squirrelmail 1.4.6-3.fc4 installed. It
> is
> working normally, does not showing any particular problem. Recently, I
> notice
> that the folder /var/spool/squirrelmail/attach gets very big. When I check
> it,
> it shows something like:
>
> # ls -l /var/spool/squirrelmail/attach/
> -rw-r--r--  1 apache apache     2772 Sep 21 15:27
> Ym5u50koW5Xu5hltepNscfWeeJKpNc87
> -rw-------  1 apache apache 48723603 Oct  3 16:09
> yNm6OVldo6OzCUuNWekBw36vR7DTp1hR
> -rw-r--r--  1 apache apache   148913 Oct 27 21:21
> YRc7iBEWQA4jb1qQ2QMpmV4e4CBNVjqH
> -rw-r--r--  1 apache apache   326891 Jul 29  2006
> yTtcIMfNNQ50Now1L3coyhMcBA4J3JCn
>
> These files are html, part header, jpg image, data, etc. My question is
> what
> these files are? Are they the attachment to the mails users sent out? or
> received? I tested my account. When I received an email with attachment,
> the
> attach folder does not show any change (hope I didn't miss any fast
> change).
> When I attach a file to a mail I am going to send out, the attach folder
> shows
> a new entry with the correct time stamp. After I click the Send button,
> the
> mail with the attachment was sent out, then that entry in attach folder is
> gone.  If I understand correctly, that folder is for squirrelmail to
> temporarily hold attachments to send out. If that is correct, does it mean
> that all of files in my /var/spool/squirrelmail/attach folder are
> attachments
> users were going to send out, but failed, so the folder hold them? But, I
> never heard any of my users complain about failure?
>
> Can anybody explain it better? Is it safe to clean all of those files in
> that folder?
>
> Thanks a lot!

Fedora's squirrelmail rpms include cron script that maintains attachment
directory.

If you don't have tmpwatch utility, please don't ignore rpm notices when
you install rpms.

If you have tmpwatch utility, find out why
/etc/cron.daily/squirrelmail.cron script is not working.

--
Tomas