Re: How great is the server impact with "auto refresh folder list"

Gregor Wenkelewsky <w-sky <at> gmx.net> writes:

> Hi there,
>
> I'd like to change the default for auto refresh to a low value, so that
> users don't need to click "refresh".
> (Using forced_prefs, and then maybe remove the "refresh" link, if that's
> possible?)
>
> Yet I can't estimate how great the server impact would be. If I have
> a maximum of 16 users logged in at the same time, an auto refresh of 30
> seconds would mean more than one refresh every 2 seconds.
>
> Though SM (1.4.9a) is running an a quite fast machine here (3GHz, 1GB RAM,
> SATA...but WinXP (with PHP5/Wamp5)), sometimes I see a delay >1 sec when
> doing a manual refresh, and even greater delays with other SM functions
> (like logging in, opening inbox etc.).
>
> May be the mailserver is concerned too, it's Cyrus on a 700 MHz Linux
> system, but actually I don't see much activity there.

Every time you refresh left_main.php
* session is locked till page is loaded. You can't load other scripts.
* SquirrelMail executes 'left_main_before' and 'left_main_after' hooks. Speed
depends on plugins attached to these hooks. newmail, filters, quota, some other
plugins.
* IMAP status command is executed on every monitored folder. Speed depends on
number of folders with message counters displayed on the right side.
SquirrelMail 1.5.1 has some optimizations in this part of code.

Other commands are pretty standard. IMAP login, logout, page generation

Check options provided by folder_synch plugin.

--
Tomas