Re: password forget sometimes remembers

On 3/6/07, Damien Moore <damien@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Revered Squirrelmailers
>
> In a note dated 08/03/05 it is suggested on the following page:
> http://www.squirrelmail.org/wiki/SquirrelMailSecurity
> that in order to disable the IE "autocomplete" feature the file
> squirrel\functions\forms.php should be changed to include:
> addInputField('password', $name , $value, ' autocomplete="off"');
>
> There is also a password_forget plugin (v.2.1 dated 12/09/2004) the
> function of which is to prevent browsers from remembering passwords.
>
> Do we need to employ both these measures? What is your current
> recommendation on this subject? Is there something else we should be doing
> instead?

It's your choice.  The first method tries to tell IE not to even try
to remember.  This method may be more thorough, although you always
run the risk that certain versions don't obey that setting, and it
might only work with IE.  If someone wants to send a patch that allows
the admin (user?) to turn this on and off, I'm sure we'd take a look
at it.  The 2nd method (the plugin) just *tricks* the browser by
renaming the password field every time the login page loads so that
even if something was remembered, the field name changes.  It cannot
hurt to use both methods.