Re: no german umlauts in SM

>> I did also encounter problems with German umlauts, similar as in Jims
>> examples (i.e. "ß" converts to "ß"). But when using SM to write a reply
>> to a mail that has been sent in UTF-8 encoding!
>> When the mail is displayed, everthing is fine, but the quoted text in
>> the reply field is mismatch. The reply then is sent in ISO-8859-1
>> encoding.
>
>> It was mentioned to try the "lossy encoding" switch in SM configuration.
>> I tried that and it helped in this case. Is that the real solution?
>

>> But beyond, should SM not use ISO-8859-15 to send mails when set to
>> German? I tried Opera and Thunderbird, they both do by default, but on
>> the other hand, two German webmail providers that I checked are using
>> ISO-8859-1. I am confused.
>
>> Yours, Gregor
>

> dont worry. Did you see:
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/amavis-user@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg07671.html

I guess that's not related. It was not easy to find out which version
of libnet I have here: SM (1.4.9a) is running with the WAMP server
packet on Windows XP, while the mailserver (Cyrus) and Postfix are on
Linux. That WAMP packet (WAMP5 1.6.6) was built Nov. 2, 2006 and I
think that is before libnet-1.20. I cannot find any decent version
number among all the files.
On the Xubuntu 6.10 Linux system libnet is not even installed, according
to the packet manager just and only a "libnet-dbus-perl 0.33.2".

Since I don't dare any up- or downdates just yet, for now I have to keep
the lossy encoding switch on to get sober replies!

Yours, Gregor