squirrel mail is deleting my messages

I hope someone can help me with this. I've had squirrel mail for my private web site for over 2 years w/out a problem. But now in the past month there have been 3 occasions when I've logged in and found that squirrel mail has deleted all unopened email from my inbox (which was nowhere near the limit), including an occasion yesterday when my outbox and deleted email boxes were not very full either.

The deleted emails do not go to my deleted box, they are just gone.

I'm an administrator, but with very poor technical knowledge.

Thanks for any help in this matter!

Greg