Re: regular expressions in filters

On Thu, February 1, 2007 7:47 pm, H.S. wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I was filtering my mail using procmail till now and I am now creating
> filters in SquirrelMail interface to sort the email. Does squirrelmail
> support regular expressions in filters? For example, to filter mail
> containing "ece-250" or "ece 250" or "ece:250" etc, can I use "ece?250"
> instead of having to make all the other rules?

What do you mean with sorting mail?

> Our department is in the process of installing SquirrelMail 1.4.9a. In
> this process, the administrators are going to remove procmail from our
> systems. Any reason they should have to? I was assuming squirrelmail
> (imap) and procmail can live together(?)

See:
http://www.squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=210

Tell your administrators that removing server side filtering and replace
it by client side filtering (done by SquirrelMail) is a very bad move.

Filtering should be done server side. If you do it client side then
SquirrelMail needs to fetch an amount of headers before filtering can
takes place and that can slow down SquirrelMail a lot if the amount of
headers (large mailboxes) is huge.

If you use an imap server with sieve support (another method for server
side filtering) then you can use the avelsieve plugin for creating sieve
filters. You don't need procmail anymore when you have sieve.

Regards,

Marc Groot Koerkamp.