problems with german umlauts in passwords and email text

Hi all!

A user with german umlauts in his password is not able to login. If I use
the same user/password kombination on a pure imap session (telnet
localhost 143) it works. It also works with kmail from my linux
workstation, but that maybe leads to another point of view.

I think it could have to do with the character encoding that apache and/or
php is using. I would say apache and php are using the system environment
variables, but as it is not working I am not sure if they do so.

Another character related problem I have is: A user gets a message with
umlaut characters and they are being displayed correctly. If he replies
on that message, the umlaut characters in the quoted text are being
mangled somehow. Here is a excerpt of the mail header (opened with kmail)

----------
-----------

Here are some infos about my system:

Gentoo Linux
squirrelmail-1.4.9a
Cyrus IMAP 2.2.12
apache-2.0.58-r2
php-4.4.4-r6

# locale -a
de_DE
de_DE@euro
en_HK
en_PH
en_US
en_US.utf8
es_MX
fa_IR
fr_FR
fr_FR@euro
it_IT
ja_JP
ja_JP.eucjp
ja_JP.utf8
POSIX

# locale
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=en_US.UTF-8

and from squirrelmails config.php:

$squirrelmail_default_language = 'de_DE';
$default_charset = 'iso-8859-15';
$lossy_encoding = false;

If there is anything else that I should/need to provide to solve this,
please tell me. Maybe I can make screenshots? Probably the best way to
show encoding problems ...

TIA,
Timo