folder frame vanishing re-visited..

It's been almost a year since I first posted on this but was
wondering if anyone else had seen this behavior since.

I've been an SM user since ~1.0 was released in Jan of '01
(or was it '02?). All versions up to 1.4.1 have worked quite
well for me, really none have since, they all seem to trigger
the same behavior. That is the left frame that shows the
folders often dissapears after clicking on a link(seemingly
random behavior, sometimes it's a message, sometimes it's
a folder).

I only have a few users on my system and all of them have
seen the behavior, on different computers. Myself I've
tested on about 4 different systems( 2 linux, Win2k, WinXP).
It doesn't seem to matter what browser, I've tested in
Firefox(1.5, and whatever the most recent rev was a
year ago), IE6, and Seamonkey all show the same behavior.

As for the server side, I started out with Debian woody
when I originally posted this, which had these packages:

ii  php4           4.1.2-7.woody5 A server-side, HTML-embedded scripting langu
ii  php4-apc       1.1.0pl1-6     Caches PHP scripts to get them loaded much f
ii  apache         1.3.26-0woody7 Versatile, high-performance HTTP server
ii  apache-ssl     1.3.26.1+1.48- Versatile, high-performance HTTP server with
ii  cyrus-admin    1.5.19-9.2     CMU Cyrus mail system (administration tool)
ii  cyrus-common   1.5.19-9.2     CMU Cyrus mail system (common files)
ii  cyrus-imapd    1.5.19-9.2     CMU Cyrus mail system (IMAP support)
ii  cyrus-pop3d    1.5.19-9.2     CMU Cyrus mail system (POP3 support)
ii  postfix        1.1.11-0.woody A high-performance mail transport agent
ii  postfix-doc    1.1.11-0.woody Postfix documentation
ii  postfix-ldap   1.1.11-0.woody LDAP map support for Postfix
ii  postfix-pcre   1.1.11-0.woody PCRE map support for Postfix
ii  postfix-tls    1.1.11+tls0.7. TLS and SASL support for Postfix

(the php4-apc package had no impact on behavior as well)

I have since upgraded to Debian Sarge which has newer packages:
ii  apache-common  1.3.33-6sarge3 support files for all Apache webservers
ii  apache2        2.0.54-5sarge1 next generation, scalable, extendable web se
ii  apache2-common 2.0.54-5sarge1 next generation, scalable, extendable web se
ii  apache2-mpm-pr 2.0.54-5sarge1 traditional model for Apache2
ii  apache2-prefor 2.0.54-5sarge1 development headers for apache2
ii  apache2-utils  2.0.54-5sarge1 utility programs for webservers
ii  cyrus21-admin  2.1.18-1+sarge Cyrus mail system (administration tool)
ii  cyrus21-client 2.1.18-1+sarge Cyrus mail system (test clients)
ii  cyrus21-common 2.1.18-1+sarge Cyrus mail system (common files)
ii  cyrus21-doc    2.1.18-1+sarge Cyrus mail system (documentation files)
ii  cyrus21-imapd  2.1.18-1+sarge Cyrus mail system (IMAP support)
ii  cyrus21-pop3d  2.1.18-1+sarge Cyrus mail system (POP3 support)
ii  libapache-dbi- 0.94-2         Connect apache server to database via perl's
ii  libapache-mod- 1.29.0.3-6sarg integration of perl with the Apache web serv
ii  libapache-mod- 4.3.10-18      server-side, HTML-embedded scripting languag
ii  libapache2-mod 1.1.1-6        module for Apache2 which authenticate using
ii  libapache2-mod 4.3.10-18      server-side, HTML-embedded scripting languag
ii  libcyrus-imap- 2.1.18-1+sarge Interface to Cyrus imap client imclient libr
ii  php-date       1.4.3-1        PHP PEAR module for Date and Time Zone Class
ii  php-mail-mime  1.2.1-1        PHP PEAR module for creating and decoding MI
ii  php4           4.3.10-18      server-side, HTML-embedded scripting languag
ii  php4-cli       4.3.10-18      command-line interpreter for the php4 script
ii  php4-common    4.3.10-18      Common files for packages built from the php
ii  php4-domxml    4.3.10-18      XMLv2 module for php4
ii  php4-imap      4.3.10-18      IMAP module for php4
ii  php4-ldap      4.3.10-18      LDAP module for php4
ii  php4-mcrypt    4.3.10-1       MCrypt module for php4
ii  php4-pear      4.3.10-18      PEAR - PHP Extension and Application Reposit
ii  php4-pear-log  1.6.0-1.1      Log module for PEAR
ii  phpldapadmin   0.9.5-3sarge3  web based interface for administering LDAP s
ii  postfix        2.1.5-9        A high-performance mail transport agent
ii  postfix-doc    2.1.5-9        Postfix documentation
ii  postfix-ldap   2.1.5-9        LDAP map support for Postfix
ii  postfix-pcre   2.1.5-9        PCRE map support for Postfix
ii  postfix-tls    2.1.5-9        TLS and SASL support for Postfix

Behavior is the same for all configurations. Behavior is the
same whether or not I use HTTP or HTTPS for connecting.

In my original testing(last year) I also tried disabling all
plugins, and it had no effect. Today I tried it again with
SM 1.4.9 with a bunch of the usual plugins I used and the
behavior was there, I haven't yet tried it with plugins off,
but I don't think it'll have any impact(same plugins I've
been using for 3-4 years now just the most up to date
versions).

Another thing, once the behavior is 'triggered' it doesn't seem
to go away until the browser is restarted(?). That is, once one
of the new SM's triggers this, if I log out and log back into
SM 1.4.1 I see it there as well, until I restart.

I have never, repeat NEVER seen this behavior in any SM version
up to and including 1.4.1. And I have specifically tried to
click and drag a link from the folder to the same frame to see if
it would make that frame dissapear and firefox doesn't let me
do that. SM is usually open on one of my computers 24/7 and
has been for at least the past 4 years. So I'm a pretty heavy
user of the app(my mail server is on my LAN).

I'm probably alone in the world out there with this particular
issue, but trying one more cry for help to see if anyone has
an idea before investigating alternative webmail clients. I'm
sure the version of SM I have has a few security issues, and
I can't seem to find a newer version that works for me. From
the timestamps, 1.4.1 looks like it came out in 2003. I think
the best feature of SM for me has been the ability to add
multiple email addresses to the "From" drop down menu. I have
about 60 different email accounts(each one for a unique
purpose), I can never remember all of them, and at least some
of the 'thick' clients, want you to setup a profile for each
email address. I don't mind using a thick client I suppose,
but certainly don't want to setup a new email profile every
time I add an account on my system(I access all the accounts
via one account by setting IMAP server ACLs accordingly, then
just subscribe to their inboxes from the folders menu).

Thus far I have tried 1.4.5, 1.4.6(year ago), and 1.4.9a(today)

I do have a tcpdump capture of this behavior though it may take
a bit of time to remove the personal details from the output
before I can post it.

SM has been a great app, but my inability to upgrade it has
been wearing on me this past year or so.

thanks!

nate