Re: inetd setttings

On Friday 12 January 2007 01:49 am, you wrote:
> Freddie Cash wrote:
> > On Thursday 11 January 2007 12:59 pm, Jay Chandler wrote:
> >> Trying to get Squirrelmail to play nicely with uw-imap, run by way
> >> of inetd.
> >>
> >> It worked fantastically well-- for about ten seconds.  Then my phone
> >> lit up, and the log file shows:
> >>
> >> Jan 11 12:40:26 webmail inetd[47419]: imap4 from 127.0.0.1 exceeded
> >> counts/min (limit 60/min)
> >>
> >> What are the appropriate settings after nowait for a webmail box
> >> that provides access to ~2000 people?
> >
> > For 2000 accounts, you definitely do *NOT* want to use UW-IMAP.
> > Performance will be horrid.  Especially if run via inetd.
> >
> > If you have access to the passwords, or don't mind resetting
> > everyone's password, you can use imapsync to move messages between
> > two IMAP servers. Install Courier/Dovecot/Cyrus, configure it to run
> > on one port, UW-IMAP to run on a second port, then script the
> > transfer of everyone's mail. It'll automatically be converted from
> > mbox to Maildir.  :)
> >
> > As for getting UW-IMAP to work better/faster/smoother ... all I can
> > say is "good luck".  :)
>
> Oh, to be able to do such a migration.
>
> Here's the setup I've inherited:
>
> All of the user home directories live on a NetApp filer.  Okay, no big
> deal.  The mboxes (inboxes, anyway) live on their own NetApp volume,
> and the user subdirectories live in their home directories.
>
> Our friends at NetApp informed me last week that the NetApp Filer has
> "problems" with MailDirs, particularly when the size of each directory
> exceeded 1% of the total system memory (six gig for this filer).  So if
> I want to use MailDir format, I have to apparently restrict each user's
> quota to 60 megs.  Somehow, in 2007, I think my users could still turn
> up an awful lot of torches and pitchforks were I to attempt such a
> thing.

That sounds a little suspicious to me, as the main selling point of
Maildir is that it is network-fs friendly:  you only open/read the one
little file for the message you are reading, and not the entire mbox
file.  You can also have 1 process writing new messages while another is
reading messages as they are separate files, something you can't do with
mbox.  The main driving force behind Maildir was NFS-mounted mail spools.
Either the NetApp guy doesn't know what he is talking about, or they have
done something really bad with their network FS configuration.  IMO, of
course.  :)

> We have several webmail servers running now, but all told we have
> anywhere from between 20,000 and 60,000 accounts, though how many are
> active is a matter of some debate.
>
> If anyone has encountered this or similar issues I'd dearly love to
> hear about it, or failing that, a pointer to where I can air this
> particular Hobson's Choice in the hopes of gaining decent resolution.

As someone else mentioned, a good starting point would be to move to
Dovecot as it reads mbox, but also has the option to use Maildir if you
ever decide to go that way.
--
Freddie Cash, LPIC-2 CCNT CCLP      Network Support Technician
School District 73                  (250) 377-HELP [377-4357]