Re: inetd setttings

Freddie Cash wrote:
> On Thursday 11 January 2007 12:59 pm, Jay Chandler wrote:
>
>> Trying to get Squirrelmail to play nicely with uw-imap, run by way of
>> inetd.
>>
>> It worked fantastically well-- for about ten seconds.  Then my phone
>> lit up, and the log file shows:
>>
>> Jan 11 12:40:26 webmail inetd[47419]: imap4 from 127.0.0.1 exceeded
>> counts/min (limit 60/min)
>>
>> What are the appropriate settings after nowait for a webmail box that
>> provides access to ~2000 people?
>>

> For 2000 accounts, you definitely do *NOT* want to use UW-IMAP.
> Performance will be horrid.  Especially if run via inetd.
>
> If you have access to the passwords, or don't mind resetting everyone's
> password, you can use imapsync to move messages between two IMAP servers.
> Install Courier/Dovecot/Cyrus, configure it to run on one port, UW-IMAP
> to run on a second port, then script the transfer of everyone's mail.
> It'll automatically be converted from mbox to Maildir.  :)
>
> As for getting UW-IMAP to work better/faster/smoother ... all I can say
> is "good luck".  :)

Oh, to be able to do such a migration.

Here's the setup I've inherited:

All of the user home directories live on a NetApp filer.  Okay, no big
deal.  The mboxes (inboxes, anyway) live on their own NetApp volume, and
the user subdirectories live in their home directories.

Our friends at NetApp informed me last week that the NetApp Filer has
"problems" with MailDirs, particularly when the size of each directory
exceeded 1% of the total system memory (six gig for this filer).  So if
I want to use MailDir format, I have to apparently restrict each user's
quota to 60 megs.  Somehow, in 2007, I think my users could still turn
up an awful lot of torches and pitchforks were I to attempt such a thing.

We have several webmail servers running now, but all told we have
anywhere from between 20,000 and 60,000 accounts, though how many are
active is a matter of some debate.

If anyone has encountered this or similar issues I'd dearly love to hear
about it, or failing that, a pointer to where I can air this particular
Hobson's Choice in the hopes of gaining decent resolution.

Regards,

--
Jay Chandler
Network Administrator, Chapman University