Re: deleted imap messages in outlook auto purged in squirrelmail

On 12/27/06, David Hopkins <dhopkins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My messaging environment includes:
> RedHat EL 4
> Cyrus IMAP
> Postfix
> Apache webserver
> Squirrelmail 1.4.6-7.el4 for mobile users
> MSOutlook 2002 with IMAP account configured on client computers
>
> Users are not permitted to purge mail. We are a healthcare facility and
> all e-mail messages must be kept. Here is my problem:
> When a user reads e-mail in Outlook and deletes the message, Outlook puts
> a line through it. We "Hide Deleted Messages" from view and this way we
> can retrieve any deleted message if needed. If a user reads his/her e-mail
> using Squirrelmail, all of these messages are purged and cannot be
> retrieved. How do we make Squirrelmail play nicely with Outlook?
> Unfortunately replacing Outlook is not an option. Thank you in advance for
> any suggestions or advice, Dave.

This was already asked and answered a couple weeks ago.  I concur with
one of the responses that said you need to find a much better solution
than just letting messages sit with the deleted flag in the users'
mail account, as that is exploitable by users with ill intent and
generally susceptible to problems just like what you are finding with
SM.  Do something like copy messages when then come in to a message
store elsewhere, etc.