Question on SM and NFS

Hi,
I am running SM 1.4.4... I know I should upgrade.. we are working on
it.. but due to various skinning we can't at the moment... but we are
working on it.

My question is... I have 3 webmail servers that share the address
books, signatures, and preferences with NFS.

webmail -> mail server and NFS main store
webmail2 -> secondary ... reads NFS data for settings from webmail
webmail3 -> third machine ... reads NFS data for settings from webmail

Signatures, templates, settings... they all work fine... however if I
try to edit/delete or add an address to an address book the server
just hangs there... (on webmail2 or 3).. on webmail it works fine.
I've checked permissions and they are all set to nobody.nobody.. and
apache is running at 'nobody'.   Additionally, permissions on the
.pref and .abook files are the same.   User nobody CAN in fact read
and write to the .abook files (I've tested this in a shell).   Yet..
when I try to edit my address book through webmail it will just hang
there for minutes until I close the browser.   Any ideas?  I've tried
mounting with 'nolock' option, but that seemed to have no affect.