Re: CPU usage

On Fri, December 1, 2006 4:10 pm, Fredrik Jervfors wrote:

>>> The Mail Fetch plugin (included with SquirrelMail) makes SquirrelMail
>>> do all the filtering, i.e. it makes  PHP and the webserver do it. This
>>> consumes a lot or server resources. If you install Fetchmail at your
>>> server, the server can do it on its own without going through the
>>> webserver, i.e. it does the same thing, only better (more options) and
>>> without using as much server resources. The Mail Fetchmail plugin,
>>> which I linked to above, is just at front end which makes it possible
>>> for the end users to update their configuration files regaring the
>>> services that Fetchmail provides.
>>
>> If there is no filtering involved, just pulling mail from external POP
>> accounts, is there any difference between Mail Fetch and Fetchmail? I
>> use
>> Mail Fetch to grab mail from other POP accounts, but do not use SM for
>> filtering. (Any filtering is done on the server using other tools.)
>> Given
>> that we only want to get POP mail, is there any advantage to using
>> Fetchmail over Mail Fetch?
>
> I have to adjust my former statement. Both the Mail Fetch plugin and
> Fetchmail with the Mail Fetchmail plugin are about pulling mail from other
> servers, not about filtering.
>
> The advantage of using Fetchemail and the Mail Fetchmail plugin are higher
> speed and using less server resources, aka. better perfomance, compared to
> the Mail Fetch plugin. The Mail Fetch plugin should only be used as a last
> resort when you have no control over the server itself, for instance at a
> webhotel.

Boy, it would be helpful if that were documented somewhere. I'm sure that
most people use the Mail Fetch plugin because it is packaged with core.
There's nothing in its files or on the Plugins site to tell us that we
should install Mail Fetchmail instead.

Thanks Fredrik, that's very useful.

P.S. What is a webhotel?