Re: CPU usage

>>> we installed squirrelmail on our dedicated server. my account uses
>>> about 20 filters on the INBOX
>>> and also calls about 15 pop servers that are on the same server.
>>>
>>> we recognized that this procedure causes a lot of CPU usage.
>>>
>>> is there a "smarter" way to call the pop accounts or a way to
>>> decrease CPU usage?!
>>>

>> If you have administration rights at the server, you should try to
>> implement this as server side solutions instead of doing them in
>> SquirrelMail. I don't know what OS you're running at your server, so
>> I'm
>> going to assume UNIX (or something similar).
>>
>> One well known solution to fetch mail from other servers is a program
>> called Fetchmail, and there's a SquirrelMail frontend for it.
>> http://fetchmail.berlios.de/
>> http://squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=50
>>

> What's the benefit of installing that plugin, rather than using Mail
> Fetch
> which is included in SM core?

The Mail Fetch plugin (included with SquirrelMail) makes SquirrelMail do
all the filtering, i.e. it makes  PHP and the webserver do it. This
consumes a lot or server resources. If you install Fetchmail at your
server, the server can do it on its own without going through the
webserver, i.e. it does the same thing, only better (more options) and
without using as much server resources. The Mail Fetchmail plugin, which I
linked to above, is just at front end which makes it possible for the end
users to update their configuration files regaring the services that
Fetchmail provides.

Sincerely,
Fredrik