Re: Clustering Squirrel Mail

Matt wrote:

> Hi,
> We've reached a point where I want to now add another webmail server
> because there are enough people using it that it is beginning to slow
> down.

Are you sure you cannot get any more performance out of your webserver ?
One of the low hanging fruits that you can use here is to put in APC
(http://php.net/apc). Check out http://talks.php.net/show/lb2/7 and
http://talks.php.net/show/lb2/8 slides.  To squeeze more performance out of
your apache, you can check out this presentation by Michael J. Radwin
http://public.yahoo.com/~radwin/talks/yapache-oscon2006.htm

> I know I can do clustering by having a php script send people off to
> webmail2 webmail3, etc... or by doing round robin DNS (though I bet
> that could wreck havoc on cookies if you connected to a wrong machine
> because of DNS cache).

I think you will need a loadbalancer. You can check out the LVS or the Pound
project for that.

> I plan to link data and prefs via NFS, so that isn't a problem... my
> biggest concern is the cookies.... any thoughts?

If you use a loadbalancer, it will take care of sending subsequent requests
for the same client to the same physical server
--
raj shekhar
facts: http://rajshekhar.net | opinions: http://rajshekhar.net/blog