Re: spam protection

On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 10:24 -0500, rschattmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> How can I set up spam protection for squirrelmail on my network?
>
> Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Rob

It depends on what you're actually trying to do and what you mean by
"my network". It's really a very open ended question. There are
several plugins for squirrelmail that allow using spamassassin to
detect spam and filter it or sort it to other mail folders. Visit
the Plugin page on the squirrelmail website.

If you have your own local mail server and local mailboxes, then
you may want to look into a more comprehensive solution that integrates
into your MTA (Mail Transport Agent aka mail server). These solutions
involve using spamassassin as well as front end black lists, etc., to
reduce the filtering requirements. The solution and configuration vary
slightly with the MTA you are using (Postfix, Sendmail, Qmail, Exim).
There are many HOWTOs out there for the different MTAs.

The end solution will also depend to a certain extent on if you do
global filtering (same cutoff point and whitelists for all users),
which is generally the easiest, or individual settings for each user.

	-Bill