Re: charset problem (german "Umlaute" ö , ä , ü , ß ) are deleted

Andi Voss schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> as you can see in my first post, the "Umlaute" are deleted.
> This e-mail is sent from KMail and here are some "Umlaute" I hope: Dürüm
Döner Teßt o.ä.

> I edited the subject.

Hi,

I solved the problem.
The LANG variable in shell is the important thing.
Only LANG=de_DE is not enough. I had to specify the charset too:
LANG=de_DE.ISO8859-15 works for me.

Only "export LANG=de_DE.ISO8859-15" works only for the actual shell
process. All running httpd processes are using the charset which was set
before.
So stop httpd complete, export LANG, then start httpd.
The exported LANG variable is set as long as you are logged in the shell.
Do you logout, the charset set by system start becomes actual.
So put the export LANG... in your distributions profile file/directory and
restart the system.
In slackware this is in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh:
LANG=de_DE.ISO8859-15

Hope this helps someone.

Andi

PS: a little "Umlaut" test: ä, ö, ü, ß  ;-)