Re: Using Squirellmail with IMAP

On Sat, September 23, 2006 9:16 am, Peter Teunissen wrote:
> On 14-sep-2006, at 22:21, Butler, Lawrence wrote:
>> Is there a version of Squirrelmail that can be used without IMAP?
>>
>>             My hosting service does not  provide IMAP support.
>>
>>             If there is no version. Is there a way to get pass this?
>>
> There's only an imap version since webmail tipically relies on a
> server to store it's mail. You could however run your own SMTP
> (postfix) and imap server (cyrus, uw-imap etc.) and use fetchmail to
> get the mail from your hosting provider's pop service into your own
> imap store. You might also want to check if you provider supports
> forwarding mail to your smtp server, in that case you could do
> without fetchmail.
>
> HTH,
>
> Peter

Good answer Peter, tactful suggestion. This of course, implies that his network has
routable IP's and he is willing to run a mail server on it (to catch the forwarded
mail). But rather than use fetchmail, he could have his provider simply add an MX
record for his domain in DNS and run a mail server such as Sendmail or Postfix as a
smarthost. He would be sending mail through his provider's SMTP and receiving it on
his own machine. Or optionally users could configure outgoing mail on their clients to
use the provider's SMTP rather than the smarthost. Maybe run DNS on his same server
for his domain if his provider won't add the needed mx record. If he doesn't have
routeable IP's and is sitting behind  NAT on a 192.168.0.0/24 network then he will
have to use fetchmail but still he can run the smarthost and he can power up/down the
server at will.

Whatever does his NAT (assuming his network in NATted) would have to be smart enough
to route his web traffic to the same server otherwise he wouldn't have access via SM
outside his local environment.

I'm not sure why I'm throwing my 2 cents worth in. Maybe he should just get another
provider. I think you can have a virtual machine on a Net backbone for under $25 per
month now. Unlimited domains and 8 IP's too. Dotster is offering that.

Paul A. Franz
Blackdog Motor Freight
Office 425.641.8202
FAX 425.641.1773